It’s cleansing, refreshing and adds a nice twist to almost anything you add it to. I’m talking about the humble lemon of course. This super fruit is so much more than its tart flavor. It contains many amazing health benefits that people have been using for centuries to help cleanse the body. The following is a list of these amazing health benefits…
1. Reduces inflammation- lemons are the highest acid reducing food you can consume. They have an alkalizing effect on the body and can help to reduce acid build up. Acids build up from consuming too many acid producing foods and can be one of the main causes of inflammation.
2. Aids Digestion- Consuming lemon water can help to flush out your intestines and keep you regular. In particular, a glass of hot water with lemon can help to stimulate muscle contraction and will keep things moving. Also lemons are high in enzymes and can help reduce digestive upset like heart burn and acid reflux.
3. Assist weight loss- Drinking lemon water can help assist weight loss efforts due to its electrolyte balancing minerals. These minerals such as potassium and magnesium act as a diuretic and can help reduce bloating and water retention.
4. Helps to detoxify the body- lemons can help to detoxify the body in many ways. They help keep your liver clean by stimulating enzyme function and increase the production of bile. They can help to dissolve stones in the kidneys and gallbladder due to uric acid and toxic build up. They also assist in keeping the gut and colon functioning properly and help to keep the lymphatic system cleansed and much more… All of which are essential to keep detoxified for the overall health of the body.
5. Boosts the immune system- lemons are high in vitamin C which is essential for good immune system function. Lemons are also anti-bacterial and can assist in the prevention of certain bacteria. They also have over twenty –two different anti-cancer fighting properties. 6. Keep your skin healthy- Vitamin C plays an important role in the overall health and appearance of your skin. It helps to increase collagen production, can help to balance skin tone, reduce age and sun spots, wrinkles, inflammation and blemishes. The consumption of lemon water is also known for giving an overall glow and radiant appearance to the skin.