Yes, eating healthy does take some effort but so does brushing your teeth everyday, showering daily and taking time to apply moisturizer! Where do you want to spend your time and money-at the grocery store and in the kitchen or at the doctor and the pharmacy? The choice is yours!
Here are a few tips to make healthy eating easier!
- Look for recipes that call for some of the same ingredients.
- Cook extra, make enough to have leftovers for one to three days.
- Dices up veggies for cooking by chopping ahead of time and storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator (only those you'll use in the next 2-4 days)-
- Cook brown rice and freeze it!
- Prepare dry ingredients for hot or cold cereals ahead of time.
- Cook batch of grains such as faro, quinoa or black rice and sweet potatoes to have on top of salads during the week.
Easy Healthy Snacks!
Mary's gone crackers
Pretzels (try to find sprouted or whole grain)
Any nut butter and jelly (made without high fructose corn syrup) on sprouted grain bread cut into small squares.
Enjoy one of my favorite snack cake recipes! Vegan Sweet Potato & Banana Snack Cakes!
I had one very ripe banana and there is nothing I like better then baking with a super ripe banana!
Make one flax egg (set aside and pre-heat oven to 35)
1 med sweet potato cooked, cooled, and peeled. (next time you are cooking sweet potatoes make and extra one!)
1 very ripe (brown) medium banana
Then Mix in:
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking soda
¼ cup non-dairy milk (almond, soy, cashew)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Real Maple Syrup
Optional add in’s raisins and pecans or walnuts!
Add flax egg to mixture in place in a parchment paper lined 8X8 baking pan.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.